Dedicated to Gershwin’s friend and musical collaborator Bill Daly, the Three Preludes were premièred by the composer at New York’s Hotel Roosevelt in 1926. Originally intended to form part of a much larger set, only five preludes were ever performed, and just three included in publication.
For many commentators, these short pieces represent the apex of Gershwin’s ‘classical’ output, fusing a variety of forms in an inimitable yet quintessentially ‘American’ style. The two Latin-inspired outer movements are barely a minute long, while the middle Prelude – described by Gershwin as ‘a sort of blues lullaby’ – provides a moment of melancholic repose.
- Trumpet in B-flat
- Trumpet in C